About the ResQup
TheResQUp™ originated from a specific concern that was directed to Dr. Peraza in the course of his patient care duties about how to raise fallen patients from the floor to chair level. Extensive research, demonstrations of the prototype ResQUp™ and discussions with other professional physical therapists and caregivers confirmed the need for such a fall recovery device. Patients need a way to help themselves, and caregivers need tools for safe patient handling that help mitigate physical injuries to them when assisting patients.
The Problem of Falling
In the United States, more than 1/3 of adults and older fall each year. About 5.8 million people in this age group fell at least once during a recent 3-month period. Besides injuries caused by falls, the simple fear of falling can impact the lives of seniors by causing a reduction in their level of activity. This in turn leads to a decline in mobility and physical fitness, which can increase the actual risk of another fall.
Caregivers, whether professional or family members, can also be gravely affected by this problem. They are often unable to physically assist the fallen person without danger of injury to themselves. Anticipation of another fall may also make a caregiver reluctant to allow the senior any independence, also diminishing the senior’s quality of life.
How It Works
The ResQUp™ is an up-from-the-floor mobility device developed and designed for the specific purpose of aiding patients, healthcare providers, and a wide variety of caregivers in clinical, assistive care, and in-home settings. The ResQUp™ is particularly useful in situations where an individual does not have the volitional strength or abilities to get up from the floor independently.
The uniquely designed and engineered ResQUp™ created by Dr. Al Peraza utilizes an incremental, ergonomically, and physiologically integrated system comprised of 4½ inch horizontal levels (3 levels at 4½, 9, & 13½ inches from floor level) that can be easily retrieved and placed into position while the patient is on the floor.
The purpose of the ResQUp™ is to make it easier for an individual to negotiate their way up to a chair height (generally ~18 inches) by one of two methods; 1) pushing themselves up using their hands, or 2) pushing themselves up using their elbows with minimal or no additional assistance from a caregiver.
Different versions of ResQUp™ that can accommodate bariatric and pediatric patients are planned to be made available in the future.
Try Our Fall Recovery Device!
The ResQUp: Available In 3 Colors — $397
- The ResQUp™ is an essential tool for safe patient handling programs that minimize and/or prevent physical lifting of a patient, thereby reducing the risk of an injury.
- The ResQUp™ can be utilized by physical rehabilitation and therapeutic facilities (e.g.; acute hospital care, outpatient settings, skilled nursing facilities, rehabilitation hospitals, home health, and medical offices) to train patients in independent mobility from a fallen position and improve patient confidence in their mobility.
- The ResQUp™ can be utilized to improve patient range of motion and functional strengthening of patients in clinical settings.
- The ResQUp™ can be utilized by individuals at home to get up from floor level when doing so is difficult or not possible without assistance.
- The ResQUp™ can be utilized by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to assist those who have fallen to the floor. Injury to EMS workers will be minimized or eliminated utilizing the ResQUp™.
- The ResQUp™ can assist individuals in the public (e.g.; schools, hotels, supermarkets, shopping centers, convention centers, arenas) where large groups of individuals gather.
Product Features, Design and Construction
- The design of the ResQUp™ incorporates 3 horizontal levels to facilitate the patient’s ascent to a seating position with little or no assistance. The ResQUp™ is purposefully designed so that the patient’s shoulders are in the optimal position of strength during the ascent.
- Sloped leading edges on the ResQUp™ make ascending more comfortable for the patient and lessen shear forces on skin tissue and bone.
- The ResQUp™ is ergonomically designed to lessen shoulder, wrist, and hand strain and incorporates hand grips under the lateral edges of each horizontal level.
- Non-slip PORON® non-absorbing urethane pads are used to provide pressure relief and a padded gripping surface for hands along the lateral horizontal levels of the ResQUp™.
- The ResQUp™ is composed of low-density polypropylene and is manufactured using rotational molding methods. The process results in a durable composite material yielding a maximum weight limit of 300 lbs while weighing only 15 lbs. When folded for storage, the ResQUp™ measures only 31” long by 11 ½ ” wide by 13 ½ “ high.
- The ResQUp™ is simply constructed using high-quality stainless steel self-locking fasteners that requires no regular maintenance or servicing.
- The ResQUp™incorporates a patented design and is equipped with two inward-folding horizontal levels and a deployment system to reduce its storage “foot print” when not in use and to optimize portability and application when needed.